Pages

Friday, January 20, 2012

Running with a Plan


I have been an off and on runner for many years.  I normally don’t have a formal play, I just try to find a mix of speed and distance.  I’ve looked at training plans and even started some but never stuck to them more than a couple weeks.  

Since November, I have been following a formal training plan and have really seen a difference.  The first month, I was fortunate enough to win some coaching with Jason Fitzgerald which started me off on a strong note.  Since then, I have been following a modified version of the McMIllian marathon training plan.  

After 10 weeks of following formal training plans, I have noticed/learned the following:
  • Workouts can slide around in the week to fit life.  
  • Understand the purpose of each workout and how they relate to the rest of the week.  Keep the purpose in mind when you have to slide your runs around.  
  • Life happens so do the best you can to stick to the plan but a missed day doesn’t mean a ruined week.  Focus on the key workouts of the week. 
  • Pain can justify plan changes.  An injury can set you way back so don’t risk injury for sake of sticking to the plan.  
  • Running should still be fun.   Of course there are says that I would rather sit my fat ass on the couch but the plan should not take all the fun out of it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment