Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Make the Time


As we go through another busy and stressful week, I need to remind myself of the importance of making time.  Like every other person I know, time is the critical struggle.  Time for family, time for work, time for life responsibilities will take everything you allow it to leaving no time for exercise. 
When my running is inconsistent, I think to myself “I can’t find the time to exercise.”  Life will always happen and it will consume as much time as you allow it. 

On the flip side, I also know that exercise allows me to be better at life.  When I exercise regularly I:
o       move a little faster (although often a little more sore)
o       am more focused on the task at hand
o       enjoy the other stuff a little more
o       have more patience when things go wrong

When I am exercising regularly, I think to myself, “I can do X to make time to exercise.”  Some of the tricks I have found include:
  • Wake up early – When this becomes a habit, it is by far my favorite option.  I can get a run in without impacting the family.  My struggle it takes about 2 weeks for this to become a habit but only 2 days for the habit to fail.
  • Stay up later - I have done up but never consistently.  Life just makes getting out at night a hard option for me.   
  • Don’t go home – Going home after work and trying to run is always a challenge because like happens as soon as you get home.  A recent routine has been to pack cloths and get the run in before making it home.  Huge downside is this impacts the rest of the family.  
  • Multitask – Many of our evenings are spent at kids’ practice.  Instead of lounging in the lawn chair with the rest of the parents, if I am not coaching I will get in a run.  I can run laps around the park which allows me to still see some of the practice and be there if needed, but still get in the miles.  Obviously ask the coaches if they mind and you probably shouldn’t go too far away but a run is better than no run.    
  • Prioritize – Is doing the dishes or whatever task is taking your time more important to you than you run?  Not saying you want to let the dishes stack up or days but find ways to be more efficient to manage your priorities.  



No comments:

Post a Comment