Pages

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Double Whammy!!!

For me, talking about mileage and health have always been the destruction of a successful "good streak." 
 
I've been enjoying my best running/health streak in years and have silently attributed it to my silence of success.  I am averaging 40+ miles a week and haven't been sick for well over a year.

All things good came to an end when I stupidly  inadvertently brought upon my demise. 

Day 1: The wife asks me if I am training for a full since my mileage keeps increasing.  She asked so I had to answer.  First time I had talked about my running in months. 
Day 2: A co-worker simply asked how I manage my sick time with so many kids.  My response, "I don't get sick very often so sick time is used for them."

Two simple comments.  I did not bring up the topics, I did not embellish the answers, I simply told the truth.  The end result is BAM!!!!!!!!!!
 
Day 3: Shin "pops" on a run and I hobble home.
Day 4: Although my legs can't run, the nose sure can.  Use half a box of tissues.

Fast forward (3 tissue boxes later)
Day 8: Try running 4 miles.  Body feels great (minus cold symptoms) but shin is still not ready. 
Day 9: Limping big time from the 4 miles
Day 10: Still can't run.  Time to shallow my pride and call the Dr.

So tomorrow is the orthopedic surgeon.  Praying that he tells me everything is fine and I just need to suck it up. 

Coincidence, maybe,  Cursed, probably. Time to get healthy again and quit talking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment