Pages

Monday, February 27, 2012

Starting Over


It has been 4 weeks since the Dr. put me on the disabled list. Due to what he described as “extreme shin splints” I have not been allowed to run for 4 weeks. 

Gains and Losses
Unfortunately, I was not very active on my down time so I lost a lot of fitness and gained a lot of weight.  I did make it to the gym a few times but not enough to maintain what I had.  

What’s next
For the past 3 days, I’ve run 2 miles each day.  The first 2 runs felt great although I have clearly lost a lot.  After today’s 2 miles, I was actually a little sore but the shins are fine.   It is sad to think that I was averaging 40 miles a week and now I am sore after two 2 mile runs.  

Since I don’t think I can recover in time for the St. Louis Marathon, I am looking for a new challenge.  Hoping that I won’t have to travel but there are not a lot of options when it comes to long distances.  For now, the plan is to see how the next 2 weeks pan out and to see where my fitness is truly at.  The fitness level will hope determine the next goal race. 

What did I learn?
I need to make sure I am doing my warm ups, cool downs, and core work.  When I was increasing mileage, I was faithful to the routines.  As time went on, I starting skipping them and eventually stopped.  Time to go back to the basics and good habits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment