Pages

Monday, January 14, 2013

Mother Nature's Little Joke

I'm working the plan and things are going well so far. Weather here in the midwest has been a little crazy and we had an amazingly warm couple days.  Freakish weather reminded me who is boss.
 
Friday - nice warm day - ran 6
Sat - warm morning - finished a 12 miles run before the monsoon and freeze  Temp drop from 50 to 15
Sun - cold windy day - ran 4
Mon - 15 degrees - ran 4

Sunday was a cold yet sunny day.  The 12 miles from Saturday beat me up pretty good and I wanted to run the trails for a softer surface.  I knew we had a lot of rain and sleet on Saturday but temps stayed under 30 for almost 24 hours so I figure everything would be frozen. 

I opted to run a 4 mile loop at Indian Camp Creek.  When I arrived, I was happy to see sheets of ice were I expected puddles.  I cautiously walked over the puddle, solid ice.  I jumped on the puddle and no issues so time to run.  After a little over a half mile, I was crossing just another sheet of ice when SNAP the ice crack and both feet went straight in.  I quickly jumped out but both feet were soaked ankle.  Quick decisions time:
  • 2 wet feet 
  • Temp 21 / windchill 14
  • half mile in
  • 30 minutes till sunset
Two choices:
Option 1 - Run half mile back to car, go home to change, and run in the dark
Option 2 - Laugh in the face of Mother Nature and keep running


Time to man up and show Mother nature who is boss.  I ran a slow and painful 4 miles but I finished it.  As soon as I finished the run, I ripped off the shoes and socks and held them under the car heater.  Felt good to watch the ice melt off them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment